Starhub throttles international traffic on port 80

So I’m in the middle of trying to unlock four iPhones. Part of this involves downloading the latest iPhone firmware from Apple – a 90MB file. Shouldn’t be a problem on my fantastic 12Mbps Starhub cable connection, right?

WRONG.

I tried to download the file via Safari and it felt like my entire system had seized up. The download was trundling along at a leisurely 50kbps – worse than a dialup modem. At that speed, a 90MB file takes over five hours to download. wget did the same thing.

I set my alarm for midnight and resigned myself to having to wait for the download to finish – until I saw this thread on Starhub’s forums. A couple of speed tests showed that Starhub seems to be throttling international traffic on port 80 to about 70-80kbps. (There’s also some speculation that this is because they’re too tight-fisted to upgrade their international bandwidth.)

So, to test this, I wgetted the file to the josh.sg server (in the USA), and I’m now slurping it down through SFTP on a different port. And surprise, surprise, it’s trundling along at 560kbps – or about 20 minutes of download time.

If anyone from Starhub is reading this, fix your international link! This is unacceptable, and it is not what I pay seventy bucks a month for!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Watch this space for news of the status of said iPhones.

This entry was posted in Rant. Bookmark the permalink.